Monday, April 18, 2011

#14: Volunteer

I used to do this a lot. Community Service was something I just did. It was expected of me and at some point growing up, its stopped be a requirement and started being something I just enjoyed. It always provided me with a sense of accomplishment. Knowing I had helped, however small the action was. In small towns, community service is at the epicenter of everything. Anything that happens in a small town has a large number of volunteers backing it. Bake sales, festivals, town dances, everything! And I miss it.

I feel it's important that my boys know how important volunteering is. To not expect anything in return for your service. A lot of young people seem endlessly entitled to me and I want my boys to understand how vital community service is. It starts at home right?

No comments:

Post a Comment