Monday, April 18, 2011

#13: Attend more Live Music Events

I thought about specifying concerts but... bands in bars or at The Arboretum work just as well also. I'm not a big music listener. I know, I know this seems weird for anyone from my general generation to read or understand. But I don't turn on music and blast out my ears and dance like a crazy person all over my house. I use music to motivate me while I work out. I listen to country stations in the car and if I must choose something to listen to while traveling it is usually Broadway musicals... they are like listening to more lively books on tape and they keep me awake.

But lately I have found myself drawn to music... consider me a late bloomer. At least I bloomed late in one department! Mostly Pop, which I realize make some of you want to vomit however, I have nothing to judge it against, my ears like what they like. I'm drawn to cheesy movies, plays and TV also so I guess it makes sense. I've always loved 80's rock (thank you Haley and Julie) and still love early 90's anything with the exception of grunge.

Certain songs take me back: Torn by Natalie Imbruglia will come on and I'm instantly 14 again. Jack and Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp and I'm 16 riding shotgun in Jessica's Camry doing absolutely nothing productive. Wilson Phillips reminds me of being a little girl and wanting nothing more than to be exactly like my sisters. Pat Green and Charlie Robison remind me of being 18 and wishing for nothing else than to be 21 so I could buy my own beer instead of flirting with some guy to buy it for me. U2 reminds me of Jason, specifically With or Without You.

The point is, my new found "passion" for music should be explored and I choose to do this by attending concerts. Or any music event. I'm too anxious most of the time. I've never been a sit and enjoy the music type of person but I think I'm becoming one. It probably has something to do with my need for calm and peace after my busy never ending mommy days. I find that I can lose myself in the music. So lose myself I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment