Thursday, March 10, 2011

#4: Scrapbooking

Okay, we all know I'm obsessed. I love scrapbooking. Yes, it's crafty, yes, it involves pictures... yes. A photo album would do the same thing. Here's the deal: it isn't just about the pictures for me. It's the memories. It's the story. I'm a sentimental person. Family history has to be one of my favorite things. I like knowing where I come from, who came before me, their stories, their wins and their failures. I'm naturally a nosy person but this goes a little deeper than that I think. I feel a connection to the past.

I always have really. There is something about growing up in a small town surrounded by the history. Ozona is a young place but my family has been there since the late 1800's and so we are entrenched in it's history. The Carson/ West family was there from the beginning with my ancestors playing pivotal roles in the growth of the community. The ranches are there. The ranch house is there.

It's like a tree with roots so deep nothing can rip it from the ground. So the term family tree is obviously apropos.

Back to scrapbooking. Though I love to do it, I rarely make time for it. Meaning that when I sit down I feel as if I must accomplish Herculean tasks at one sitting! So my #4 is to take time each week to work on some pages. No page number goals or finishing scrapbooks in one sitting. Just some time each week, to work on a few pages. For me, for my family. I feel like I'm leaving a piece of myself behind with my scrapbooks. It's my history. My handwriting, the way my journaling changes, my poor spelling (which you, of course are not aware of, as online I have spell check). My scrapbooks tell my family of my love for them. Allow me to let my creativity flow and show how my artistic side has evolved. My scrapbooks are the pictures, the memories of the good and bad times (yes, I scrap it all), and they are a small of piece of me.

So it's important to me. And I should make more time for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment