Thursday, November 4, 2010

Brain Vomit

Ready. Set. Vomit...

I moved to Denton in the Fall of 2002. I loved everything about the city. I still do, even though I don't live there anymore. There is a vibe to Denton. I miss it most of the time. But I'm realistic in knowing that we can't possibly live there because it is much too far for Jason to drive to work. But... just because my brain knows that does not mean that my heart does.

Oh my goodness if only you could see all of the typos in the above paragraph. But of course you can't and you won't because I will fix them before I post this.

See I'm trying this word flow thing. And my brain works on a much faster level than my hands on my keyboard but since I'm trying to empty my brain I'm going to go with that is just not important at the moment.

I auditioned for a play. A play I really like. For a role or a couple of roles, that I really like. And I didn't tell anyone I was auditioning, which meant that I was probably too emotionally involved because I'm an open book on most things unless I'm emotionally invested in which case I keep my mouth shut. Anyway, I auditioned for this show and here is why that is important:

I'm scared.

Really scared. That I don't actually know how to be on stage anymore. That I've forgotten how important acting is to me and dove so far into being a mommy that I've lost who I am some how. I used to define myself by being able to take on a character. To live that character and maybe the only character I know anymore is Mommy. And that scares the shit out of me because I like to think I'm so much more than that. Not that it would be a bad thing if all I ever did with my life from this point on is raise two well adjusted, smart and wonderful little boys but really, I want so much more.

Even as I type this tears are streaming down my face which probably means that I'm being more honest right now that I've been in a long time. I'm really good at hiding things. I wrap up my world in a pretty bow. A tastefully wrapped, seasonally correct and festive package and present it to the world and hope that everyone loves it. I am the epitome of the hostess extraordinaire. Except that every time I throw a party I think that someone hates it... all of it. That everything I've done is wrong and boring and ugly.

I'm probably the most self conscious person anyone will ever meet except for the fact that you'd never know it. Unless you're smart enough to look past everything I present. Which some people are but lets face it no one really ever wants to get more than surface involved.

And let's talk about that. Surface Involved. It's the involved where you know someone but you would not be able to actually define anything real about them because you've never asked, they've never volunteered and you know if they did you'd find a reason to go take something out of the oven.

And though I'm good with metaphor, isn't just a way for a writer to ignore the truth? Really? I come up with phrases that express my mind but don't actually say what the problem is.

So here's the problem: I'm waiting. I'm waiting for cast list which I'm pretty sure, damn near positive, won't have my name on it and I'm not really sure why it won't? Do I just not have it anymore? That thing that makes people want to see you on stage? Have I lost something profound? I made my grandfather cry once. I was playing Lynda Loman in Death of a Salesman in High School and he cried. Of course you didn't know my grandfather, for that matter, neither did I but he just wasn't the type of guy who cried. Especially not at a play. So it was something that stuck with me, even then. Maybe I have something.... But after the last couple of days maybe I don't.

Maybe I never did. Maybe people were humoring me. Maybe I'm just mediocre and got lucky with some parts. Because everything I've auditioned for since I started having children has turned me down. I out on a brave face, I pretend that it doesn't bother me. But talking with a friend last night I realized that it's okay that it bother me. I'm older and I'm busy and I have to be picky and choosy about what I audition for because it's a time commitment. I can't just audition for everything and hope to get lucky. I have to check the calendar and make sure everything is going to work and so I don't get to audition very often. So when I do, I really want it. I've read the play, I've researched the author. I can talk plot and character development and foreshadowing and suspense. I have a vested interest. I WANT it. And so the older I get the more it hurts when I don't get the part. And maybe that is just how its supposed to be. Maybe the fact that it didn't hurt before meant it didn't mean as much as it does now or maybe I'm just reaching a point where I've analyzed my thought process to the point of no return. I see all of the angles, the ins and outs and the different analytical prospects.

The point being is I hate to wait. And I want to vomit but instead I word vomited, right here, for everyone to read.


Welcome to my head.

7 comments:

  1. I don't even know how to tell you how much I love you!! I know how you feel, in some ways...all those ways....maybe...Basically I was nodding my head the whole time I read it. Did you read my "Letter to a Young Artist" that I posted the other day? Do so, if you didn't. It's not mine; I reposted it. But still.

    Your word vomit is pretty damn articulate, lady. And I feel ya. Here's hoping. Wouldn't it be great if we were just wrong and they do exactly what WE thought they should do all along? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome actually. I read the "Letter" a little while ago. I loved it and thanks. I don't know about articulate. I'm refusing to let myself go back and reread it, for today at least. It's there. And it's not floating around in my head anymore, that has to count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hardest thing for a mom to be is something OTHER than a Mom. You are talented, and its find to feel out of practice, you just have to keep at it. I'd like to think that at one time I knew something real about you, even if that isnt as true now. The things we want most, are usually the hardest things to get. Take a time out. The waiting is the worst, but once its over, its over.

    -Diana H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just met you... at said audition. We talked about your kiddos and your husband and how happy you are and blessed by your family while we waited to share the same Hal. I don't know what led me to your blog tonight. I am wandering around facebook so that I don't just get in bed, pull the covers over my head, and sleep. I'm gonna open up to you right now even though I barely know you because I GET IT. I do. And because I like to get past the surface. I'm not a Mom yet, but I want to be one someday and I have an incredible Mom who throughout my life has sacrificed a great deal. Raising your boys in a home full of love, respect, trust, and safety is an incredible thing. It is also incredible for children to see their parents thriving in the world and passionate about what they do and their God given unique talents. In regards to forgetting how to be on stage, regardless of whether you are cast or not, I watched you at auditions Tuesday. I watched you carefully not because you were the "competition" but because you were interesting, because you brought life to the characters when you read them, because there was "something" about you. You did well. Truly.

    I understand being choosy. I always am. I audition for projects that will stretch me as an actor, feed my soul, ones where I feel I really have something to give. And because I work a very stressful job and am in graduate school, I have to watch my schedule too. I had planned on being at this audition since the season was announced. I love the play and can discuss it through and through like you.

    Okay, here is where I spill (some of this I haven't said to anyone)... My Dad died very unexpectedly one month ago. It took us two weeks to get through the red tape to be able to bury him and by then I had used all of my personal time at work. I had to come back the day after the funeral and had no time to decompress with my Mom and brothers. I've spent the last two weeks giving any energy I had to pretending at work and with patients. I've spent the rest of it praying for God to grant me the energy to do it again the next day. Grief sneaks up on you and gives no warning when it will show up any given day. Losing a parent is scary. I don't like to be selfish and I can't promise anyone when I will be back to myself. My roommate tells me it's ok to be whatever way I am and I'm still learning how to feel like she's right. Somewhere in the middle of all of that, I allowed myself to get attached to the idea that maybe I could do Proof and dedicate it to Dad. I'm not a choreographer, a singer, a poet, a writer, musician. I can't honor him with any of those methods. I can't express myself through them. I'm an actor. I act. It's who I am. It defines me too in a way. I went to the audition. I know I read well. I didn't get called back. That's the business. I've been doing it long enough to know that there are countless variables. I realized last night how much it really meant to me and suddenly, out of nowhere, I felt like I had failed him. In my brain, I know it's ridiculous, but in the immortal words of M'Lynn Eatenton, "I wish someone would explain it to my heart". I'm still kinda sad, but now I'm just trying to find the project that God really wants me to be focusing on. I really believe that if you don't get cast, there will be something for you. Please make a promise to yourself now, before you know the result to get out there more and share the gift you have. You are still that girl, that actress you once were. You DO have "something". I saw it. And inside your home is perfect inspiration to keep it up.

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had some trouble posting my own "Brain Vomit". I leave you with this...

    “The essence of a really good actor is that you stay innocent. Stay innocent. Stay curious until the day you die. Don’t know the answers. Try to figure out, you know? And try to understand. And, you see, that which makes us unique and which allows you to imagine that you live in another time, in another place, in another room, that you really believe that is based on innocence. That’s why we act so wonderfully when we are children - because we really believe. And that ability to believe, we should keep until we die. And don’t let anyone take it away from you. Certainly don’t take it from yourself.” – Uta

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing Amanda, I envy you. You should know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and your honesty. I have these same fears - not about acting obviously - but about my career path. Thank you for writing this. ( =

    ReplyDelete