Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I lack Focus...

If you know me, you know this is true. I lack focus! I do a million things at one time. I feel like I have to. I've got 5 or 6 sewing projects going at one time, 2 or 3 craft projects going, 2 or 3 painting projects going + laundry, organizing, bill paying, cleaning, changing the sheets and towels, running errands, grocery shopping... well you get the idea. But today, thanks to Susie Moore, I found this article and thanks to the above I found this article.

FOCUS... who has the time to focus? I'm busy. I'm a stay at home mom who is trying to run a business (soon to be two businesses) and still find time for a shower and make-up and get food on the table 3 times per day. I'm the type of person who doesn't feel she's accomplishing anything unless she's accomplishing a lot, so I take on a lot. I'm not going to lie, I like it that way. I like to be busy. It's all I've ever known. I used to joke, but there was some serious truth to it, that I saw my parents more the year after I went to college (6 hours away) then I did my Junior and Senior years of HS. You laugh but like I said... TRUTH! I played golf, was a Varsity basketball manager, on the yearbook staff, was in charge of sports photography, took dance lessons, student council, church youth council, 4-H leadership council, multiple 4-H activities, One-Act play, multiple UIL events, Health Occupations Students of America, volunteered at the county museum and if someone asked... chances are I helped. I am conditioned to be a busy person.

Now recently there has been a lot of articles and news programs about how much our children do, when is it too much and so on and so forth but... I was of the first generation. The first generation of the multi-tasking youth who pushed hard, worked hard and never slept. When I got to college I rebelled! I didn't go to football games, I didn't join organizations, I didn't participate. I did one show my freshman year and when I wasn't cast in anything my second semester, I didn't dive into any other projects, I just took a step back and took a deep breath. As college progressed I dove back in. And then one day I looked up and I was once again doing it all.

So I am conditioned to be this way. It's who I am... it is ingrained into my being. And it's time to change that.

It's going to be a long process. Even as I type this blog I've jumped from article to article and checked my email and changed a diaper and refilled my coffee. Some things can't be avoided (diapers...yuck!) but some things can. So it's 8:40 am and I'm going to try this single tasking thing today. I've got a list of 5 things to accomplish today, beyond the normal "take care of my children" tasks, and I'll weigh in tonight. Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment